Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nauvoo


If you've ever experienced the Midwest at temperatures of 100 degrees, and high humidity you can sympathize with the conditions we were in this weekend in Nauvoo.  We were ready to see everything in the city, but it was just. too. hot.  We saw the sights for about two hours before turning up red-faced, sweating, and hungry at the Hotel Nauvoo for dinner.  It was just what our family needed--food and plenty of water in an air conditioned restaurant.  By the time we were done, a storm blew in and lowered the temperature in to the seventies and we were able to see quite a few more things before the pageant began. 

Last time I came to Nauvoo, I was thirteen and I remember seeing the remnants of the cornerstones of the old temple in a large lot, and a guide telling us, "Someday the temple will be rebuilt here."  So as we turned up the hill and saw this  from our car window, it literally took my breath away, it was so amazing to see this beautiful temple!



   
 Someone recently described to me the feeling of this temple as being able to "feel the Spirit of the Saints," and it's so true.  I can't describe it in words, but this is one special temple.  I can't wait to come back and go inside since this is our temple!

 The lightning storm that saved the day and brought in low temperatures
 Smith Family Cemetery



 The pageant was amazing and the temple was right there in the background.  I can't wait to come back in the Fall and see everything else we missed, but with normal temperatures. Despite the humidity and heat of our trip, Nauvoo is definitely one of my favorite places.


 Addi got off my lap about halfway through the pageant and started walking up the grass toward the stage.  When I ran to get her she said, "I'm just going to go dance k? I'll be right back, k mom?"
Evelyn was very into the story and kept saying things like, "Mom! I'm so sad! Why do they have to leave their houses and their temple?" 



1 comment:

Taylor Times said...

Thanks for all the beautiful pictures. I really hope we can go and see Nauvoo while you guys are there. Wednesday I get to go to Goshen with the Laurels... I don't think it will be quite the same. Aubrey won't even be with me because she just left for efy in cedar city with Sarah.