If I could describe the Iowa State Fair in two words, they would be "Enormous" and "Deep-Fried." Our friends the Metcalfs showed us around this amazing event last weekend. I knew it was going to be big, but it seriously exceeded everything I had thought it would be. Iowans know how to do a fair.
Lance sent this picture to everyone off his phone, and I love it--Evelyn with an enormous green bean
The famous Butter Cow
The food. We tried deep-fried cheese curds (our favorite), a deep fried Snickers bar, and deep-fried Oreos (not our favorite). There was lots of hype about the deep-fried butter this year, but we definitely didn't try it. Other than that, I think you could get almost any unhealthy food possible. Did anyone else ever watch Charlotte's Web? Well, for me it brought back memories from this scene.
Trying the deep-fried Snickers
All the animals were HUGE. Here is the prize-winning bull. I don't even know if he can stand up.
Prize winning hog
one random ostrich at the fair
The pictures don't do justice to how huge this horse was. I was so scared to go near it, I don't blame Addi for thinking it was scary at all!
The Fair was unlike anything we had ever been to before, and I am actually starting to love the fact that we get to have a few years of adventures like this after dental school and before "real life" begins. Speaking of which if you are a family or friend who would like to be updated on the oral surgery interview process, please leave your e-mail. I will be updating a simple blog as they come, but it will be private for obvious reasons.



















2 comments:
Deep Fried Butter? SICK. How fun though! I bet lots of that deep fried stuff is actually pretty good...
I loved this post. That bean and that bull are both very large. I wish I could have dried the deep fried stuff. Someone told me that kentucky fried chicken, here, sell the deep fried cheese curds...will have to try! Love mom
Post a Comment