Saturday, May 17, 2014

Peach Pickin'

 Peach picking season is here in Arizona and basically lasts the entire month of May. I've been dying to go to one of the 'u-pick' farms in the valley, and this one didn't disappoint! Lance had the night shift that night so he was pretty exhausted, but of course was still nice enough to let me drag him out peach picking during his five hour window of not working/not sleeping.

We started with some homemade peach pie before heading out to the orchard.
(Evie was in school, so she wasn't with us)

 Lance and Addi shared, and Blake and I shared. I think I got the better end of the deal because Addi ate all the peaches and cream, and left Lance with mostly crust.

This month Lance is on trauma call and has zero days off...as in no weekends, no weekdays, nothing. He has very few hours at home, so this was really a treat to have him with us. Addi was obviously thrilled to have her dad with her.

We walked about a half mile out to the orchard and started picking



While I was taking a picture of Blake, a woman walked by while she was picking peaches and said, "Oh my! Oh my! Give your mama your BEST peachy smile!! Give her you best best PEEEAAACCHHY smile!" I think he was mildly out of his comfort zone after that, and here he is fake "peachy" smiling/worried about that lady and looking at her.






 It was SO hot, but the kids were a great sport. There were plenty of complaints, but we could tell it was worth it when Addi said (after blowing a dandelion), "Mom...do you know what I just wished for?"
Me: "What?"
Addi: "I wished for Googolplex peaches!!!" (vocabulary courtesy of Evelyn who had informed us earlier that week that, "Googolplex is the biggest number ever")

Well, we didn't get that many, but we did get about 10 lbs worth! We're looking forward to making peach everything for the next few weeks.
















No comments: