Sunday, February 27, 2011

Point Reyes

Saturday we finally took the trip up to Point Reyes! Lance and I both woke up with what we had thought were bad allergies, but didn't think anything of it as we were getting everything ready to go.  Then about fifteen minutes through the drive, all the kids fell asleep.  Slowly the sore throats started, the sneezing, coughing, aching and then...the fevers?  Yep, every single one of us was sick.  So there we were at a place we had FINALLY visited with less than four months to spare here in San Francisco, all feeling miserable, but we just HAD to go and we are so glad we didn't turn around! 

The drive was beautiful along Highway 1.  There were ocean views, seals, Stinson Beach, ravines full of trees, and hills and fields full of cows.  So many cows. Then I got carsick (which I thought I got over at age 5, but I guess not) and couldn't look at anything else. 
When we got there the fresh air and views from the parking lot were so perfect
It was a .4 mile hike to the top and then a stair descent down to the lighthouse. Anyone who has been could tell you what an easy walk it is, but it seemed like an 8-mile hike with our aching bodies, and Evelyn cried that her neck hurt too bad to walk anymore.  If it seems like we were just total wimps, we are not denying it. But we made it, and the lighthouse and view were amazing!
wind-carved rock as we reached the point:
 Farallon Islands, known for their abundance of Great White Sharks.  We can actually see these from our house after rainstorms

 ...and open water...people kept seeing tons of gray whales passing by, but I obviously don't have that gift because I didn't see one.  I took this picture in the direction everyone was pointing, so good luck finding them in there. 
 Blake
Addi was ready to go before we started
 Lance and I switched off going down to the lighthouse, so we could avoid a three-kid simultaneous meltdown, so here was my turn down the stairs.
Stairs equivalent to a 30-story building:
 Still operating with the original lens and clockwork gears, completed in 1870
 308 steps back up
 Ready to go. Home. And sleep.


3 comments:

Deb Lamb said...

Melissa, I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed your photography on this post. You are really becoming an artist. Thanks for sharing.

bepluvstrack said...

I love Point Reyes! It makes me think of rural England or Ireland or something over there. The windswept coast, the rolling grassy/rocky hills, and the fact that it's WAYYY out there. And the 10-mile long beach is incredible. Nice pictures.

Psychological Assessment said...

Wow i missed these pictures before. They are sooo beautiful.